Institute of Marine Science – CSIC
The Institute of Marine Science (Institut de Ciències del Mar, ICM-CSIC) is the fourth largest research institute of the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC) and the largest dedicated to marine research. Under the motto “Ocean Science for a Healthy Planet,” the ICM conducts frontier research and fosters knowledge and technology transfer on topics related to ocean and climate interactions, conservation and sustainable use of marine life and ecosystems, and impact mitigation of natural and anthropogenic hazards. In-depth knowledge, determined action, and coordinated management are essential to face these global challenges.
ICM is the first Spanish marine science centre to be accredited as a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence, in recognition to the institution’s leadership in the field of marine research in Spain and to its commitment to create social impact.
For further information, please visit: https://www.icm.csic.es/en
Recruitment at ICM is open, transparent, equal, and merit-based. All applicants compete on the same terms.
What we are looking for
Two postdoctoral researchers to work on European environmental legislation and applications in our research group, the Biological Littoral Processes, located at the Institute of Marine Science (ICM-CSIC) in Barcelona, Spain. These work placements are made possible by ICM’s national contract with Ministerio para la Transición Ecológica y el Reto Demográfico.
The objectives of ICM’s contract with MITERD are:
1. Homogenization and standardization of monitoring methodologies and indicators for the evaluation of the ecological and chemical status of coastal and transitional water bodies carried out by the coastal Autonomous Communities in the framework of the Water Framework Directive (WFD).
2. Homogenization and standardization of methodologies for the analysis of the ecological potential of heavily modified coastal and transitional water bodies in the framework of WFD.
3. Advice for the national contribution to European working groups (ECOSTAT and CMEP) and international conventions to which Spain is a contracting party (OSPAR and Barcelona Convention).
We are looking for candidates with a proven background on environmental sciences and knowledge in the field of marine sciences, biological sciences or similar, familiar with marine legislation, that can contribute to achieving the above objectives. A good level of English is essential, and knowledge of statistical analyses is highly desirable.
The contract is available for 9 months, with the possibility to be extended for 2 additional years. Starting dates are negotiable, but we are looking for a suitable candidate to join our group as soon as possible (preferably early 2023). The salary will be according to CSIC standards (FC3-FC1, depending on experience).
Place: Institut de Ciències del Mar (ICM), CSIC, Barcelona
Salary: FC3-FC1, €51,891 to €65,411, depending on experience
Contract period: 9 months, with the possibility to be extended for 1-2 additional years
Interested candidates should contact Dr. Esther Garcés (email@example.com) by email with “MITERD” in the subject field, accompanied by the following information:
- Cover letter detailing their interest to join our group and to apply to these positions
- Summary of CV (max. 5 pages)
- Names of three referees
The position will be opened until filled.